Saturday 1 April 2017

MAMA PHILO (MOTHER PHILO)!! – A TRIBUTE


One of the privileges I enjoyed as a youngster growing up in the village was the sense of community where everyone knew everyone else. You met in the stream, in the farm, in the village square, under the moonlight, the school, church and such other places of concourse. We didn’t just have neighbours, we had extended families. Apart from your biological parents, you were answerable to other parents and any adult for that matter. We knew each parent by name and the names and order of their children – why not; we were friends with their children. Today’s world and the city are of course a different kettle of fish – sometimes you don’t even see your neighbour or know their name.


Why this elaborate flashback you wonder. One of the parents I had as a child has passed on – Mama Philo, short for Philomena. Aged 95, I could almost talk about her life from the very first memories I have of her: her husband, children, kindness, care; love and joy at seeing you do well. She would always call me Basel Nwam (Basil my son) and ask how I was getting on with her son and my very close friend, Augustine.


My friendship with Augustine was that of David and Jonathan, without the envy and murderous schemes of Saul – there was no throne in contention anyway. We did stuff together including disco halls and chasing… And when education and life’s journey took us apart, we still remained in close contact. His message that he would be arriving Nigeria shortly from his diaspora base for Mama Philo’s funeral took me back memory lane and I cannot but pay tribute to this great mother who showered ceaseless love to all her children - both biological and otherwise. Up until she went to live with one of her children in the city due to old age, I would always stop by her house whenever I went on visit to the village. At such times she will ask after my family and we will hold discussions on whatever caught her fancy. These and other memories I will hold dear.

Mama Philo, a great community leader, lived an exemplary and fulfilled life. She touched the lives of many including married couples and the youth.  In deed in her I found a virtuous woman whose price was far above rubies. No wonder, God rewarded her with long life and showed her His salvation.  My friend Augustine wished they could do more for her, but we take solace in the fact that her life was a testimony and her memory, as the just, would always be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment