Saturday 20 February 2016

WHEN A WHOLE STREET PRAYED FOR ME…..





As mortals, we sometimes have encounters which on a face value may not mean much. But on deeper reflection, one discovers attributes that confirm our humanity and perhaps help us strive to be better citizens of the world ….

I had been invited to a program tagged “Apapa Praise” to be held in a popular inner city in that part of Lagos. The invitation, which came by text, also provided required details on how to get to the venue. With my sufficient knowledge of most areas of Lagos, I chose to approach from a different direction, and actually got an “Okada” to lead me for ease of tracking. 

                                                               google image
Anyone familiar with the infrastructural deprivation of that area of Lagos, would not be surprised to read that I had to actually ride the Okada, though for a short distance, to finally arrive the venue. It got to a point where the bumps on the road would not accommodate the bumper on my car; so I parked on a side-street considered safe and clear of traffic.

“Apapa Praise” was awesome, though a misnomer. Fair enough, the praise and worship songs were there, dished out generously by a live band. The community joined excitedly on the street right in front of the local church that hosted the program; everybody was dancing. For me the program was ‘Guerilla Praise’ to liberate the neighborhood and entire population from oppression and bring the light of the gospel to them. Intercessory and repentance prayers were held, the gates were lifted and the ground anointed for total freedom. The program ran its full course from 9am to 12 noon and was brought to a close with joy and fanfare.

As I made my way back to where I packed the car, I couldn’t help but notice that this was a life changing event for me. It was a humbling, yet spiritually uplifting experience for me. I began to understand why I looked forward to the event. Sometimes it is good to leave our comfort zone and share fellowship with others. Our church may be in the best part of town, with pew and alter laid in marble, but there are those worshiping in dilapidated, makeshift buildings with no drainage in front. Our neighborhood may have all the amenities, there are those fetching water from boreholes with the water so hard that the brown has caked all over the tank. I wondered at the level of greed of those in position of leadership who allegedly have converted colossal sums of the commonwealth to their personal use or locked same in banks where they are sentenced to minimal value. What greatest good could have been done to the greatest number if such monies are unlocked for development…?

Getting to my car, I notice a crowd had gathered and were watching me closely. I couldn’t quite place it, until a woman spoke up and lifted a driving mirror. I then looked at my car and discovered it was my driving mirror in her hand; the car has also suffered some dent on the side. She pointed to the culprit whom they have ‘arrested’ waiting for my arrival. Then there was a dramatic silence, everybody was waiting for me to pronounce ‘judgment’. The offender, with his truck of fizzy drinks, was also dreading the worst. I said something to the effect of ‘Madam give me my mirror and let him go’. The crowd exploded in applause; everybody was praying for me, pouring their blessings, appreciating what they perceived to be unusual kindness….

But why did they expect me to (and why should I) hold him at the jugular or drag him to the police or demand he fixes my car? Love and forgiveness are attributes of humanity: we need them from others; others need them from us. 

Last Line: Proverbs 19:11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense. NIV
Philippians 2:12-13 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed — not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. NIV

God is the giver of every good gift. To find out more about God and how you can have a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, visit any Bible believing church near you, or: CHAPEL OF DESTINY RESTORATION CHURCH, 2 Akinlabi Lane, off Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, by Round About Bus Stop, Ikeja. Lagos.

No comments:

Post a Comment